I finally got started on the Twitter retriever app in Clojure. I did not do much the first week.
I am able to get tweets for a couple of accounts. I have to make database tables. I think for the most part I will just follow the structure of what Twitter sends back.
I was dealing with a few libraries to deal with configuration. Important stuff. For the database properties and twitter keys, I am using envron. It uses environment variables for configuration. One of the ideas in the 12 Factor App pattern is to put your configuration in the environment. I did some googling, and not everybody thinks that is always a good idea. Plus, what if you have a LOT of configuration?
In non-prod, environ can take variables/fields from a profiles.clj file if you are using Leiningen. So at first I thought environ sidestepped all the security concerns. But for prod, the Github page says to just use environment variables. For now I will go with this as-is.
What I like about environ is that it should be pretty easy to use for the database configuration. I might use cprop. I will look at it later.
I might stick with propertied for some configuration.
At least now I know a few more libraries.
Image from De bello Judaico, a 9th-century manuscript housed at the Bamberg State Library (Wikipedia page here), manuscript description here, citation link here, image assumed allowed under Fair Use.